OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Is it okay to map multiple target concepts to one source concept?

Hi all,

I’m currently mapping local lab medicine vocabularies to CDM Measurement/LOINC domain vocabularies.
Here, one local source concept (EBV VCA/EA IgG(Brain death patient KONOS)) seems to be the combination of EBV VCA (capsid) IgG and EBV EA (early) IgG. So I’ve mapped this source concept to two target concepts, namely “3036456 Epstein Barr virus capsid IgG Ab [Titer] in Serum” and “3007241 Epstein Barr virus early IgG Ab [Titer] in Serum”.
In short, I’ve mapped one source concept to multiple target concepts. I wonder if such mapping logic could be recommended.
Although I’ve read several articles regarding one-to-many mappings, I’m not 100% sure that I’m doing the right thing. Please let me know if I’m making an error.

Thank you in advance :smile:

In general, it’s totally fine. For example, if your source value contains multiple conditions you can map it to each of those. The question you may want to ask yourself is how you will store the results for these labs. Is it always relevant to multiply the same result for standard concepts you got?

You mean the results get multiplied when mapped to 2 or more target concepts?
In that case, no, I don’t think the result will be so relevant.

t