OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

How to Capture Care Plan Data?

We are developing ETL for our EHR data into OMOP v5.3. In our data we have care plan information that we are not sure where we can store in OMOP CDM. Care plan information contains details such as the problem the care plan is made to address, goal of the care plan and tasks needed to be performed to achieve the goal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we should go about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

@guanguo:

Can you give us an example what it looks like? At first glance, it looks similar to what we are discussing in the Treatment/Episode of Care discussion. Is it?

Hi @Christian_Reich

You are correct, It does have some similarities in terms of linking records from different tables together to create an episode of care. However, in care plan i’m referring to a set out plan by the clinician to address a problem that is carried out or not.

Here is an example:

GOAL:
Maintain Healthy weight with BMI <25
PROBLEM:
Overweight
TASK:
Encourage to stick to diet and lifestyle plan
HIgh fibre, low fat mediteranean diet

@Christian_Reich

Have I not understood the proposed episode of care table correctly? Episode of care would be a collection of procedure/drug_exposure/visit_occurence that are linked together for the treatment of a condition, where as care plan is a prepared plan of tasks/procedures to be completed.

Currently all i think of is record this whole event as concept_id = 4162085 Development of care plan, where no details can be recorded.

@guanguo:

Yes. Such an episode would have links (to be defined how it would work, because it is a many to many problem) to all the component. The table would just have those links. Where you get them from - either through a standardized algorithm or because you data have that information.

Not sure we need to delineate the process of creating such a plan. But not averse either. What’s the use case of having that?

t