OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Hospice - Inpatient vs Outpatient

Hi All,
We have a bit of internal debate going on how to handle Hospice Visits. Our source has ‘Hospice Hospital Based’ which we are assigning Inpatient to however we also have ‘Hospice Non Hospital Based’ which we are debating between Inpatient and Outpatient. I was curious to get some input from the community. Which do you feel is the correct choice? Thank you in advance!

I had a similar talk just yesterday :smile:
It was about Critical Access Hospitals and Swing Beds, which are also IP facilities. Skilled Nursing Facility can also have IP beds. ‘Hospice Non Hospital Based’ can probably belong to one of those.
Or it also can be hospice outpatient clinic.
I’d rather suggest considering the length of visit (whether it’s an overnight stay or not).

@aostropolets Good idea with length of visit! …I think we might be talking about the same debate because I also had a conversation yesterday around Critical Access Hospitals and Swing Beds!!

Friends: Check things out here: New Comprehensive Hierarchy for Providers, Visits (and Place of Service, Specialty, Care Site).

I don’t think length of stay has anything to do with the Visit type, even though folks tend to stay longer in hospices than in hospitals. I think the logic should be hosptial - non-hospital institution - home. Let me know.

t