OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

GPI and NDC code related searches in CDM

Hello.
I am new to OHDSI and use of the CDM so this may be a silly question, but I am wondering if I can search a claims database (such as truven) that is in CDM format using digits of GPI codes if the source of the medication is an NDC code. I think what I am asking is whether in the CDM framework there exists a GPI to NDC code map?

Thanks.
Charlotte

@ccarroll:

You can. You’d have to translate your GPI codes to the equivalent standard OMOP concepts (which are based on RxNorm) and then use those to query the data. Depending on the CDM version you’d use the SOURCE_TO_CONCEPT_MAP (Version 4.5) or the CONCEPT_RELATIONSHIP (Version 5) tables to do that conversion.

No need to do those NDC lists. There are a terrible way to query for drug exposure to begin with. However, if you absolutely need NDCs you could use those same tables and convert the RxNorm concepts back to the NDCs. But my heart bleeds when anybody does that.

Let me know if you need more help.

1 Like

Christian -

I am a complete newbie, but interested in something similar. I am looking for a way to find the correct GPI codes that correspond to specific RxTerm SBD and SCD RxCUI’s. Is there a resource available via OHDSI to do this?

Thanks,
Greg

@gzancewicz:

You can use the CONCEPT and CONCEPT_RELATIONSHIP table for that. Find your RxNorm concept by looking up the RXCUI in the concept_code field where vocabulary_id=‘RxNorm’, and then look up any available links to GPI in the CONCEPT_RELATIONSHIP table where concept_id_1= the concept_id of the RxNorm concepts you just looked up. Join the concept_id_2 to concept.concept_id and pick the Cocnept that has vocabulary_id=‘GPI’.

For all of that to happen, you need to download the vocabulary with GPI included. You can do that only if you have a license from Medi-Span. Do you?

Christian: Thanks so much for the prompt response. No, I don’t have a license. Can you advise how to go about getting one?

t