OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Does Usagi require Oracle Java 1.8? Can I use OpenJDK or Amazon Corretto?

We’re trying to install Usagi on a multi-user Windows server on which most users do not have admin privileges.

Because of Oracle’s new (unfortunate) stance on licensing the Java Platform Standard Edition in production environments, we only have OpenJDK 12 and Amazon Corretto 8 installed on this Windows server.

Apparently, Usagi doesn’t like this. It fails to parse our Athena files into the required BerkeleyDB and Apache Lucene files (in the sleepyCat and mainIndex directories, respectively). It hangs on the initial dialog box warning us that this one-time indexing process may take a while. (We let it run for more than 48 hours before killing it.)

In comparison, Usagi indexed our Athena files in about 20 minutes running locally on a laptop with Oracle Java 8 (version 1.8) installed.

Any guidance from the Usagi gurus like @MaximMoinat?

Thanks for also reporting the issue on Github and sharing your solution as well there. Great to read that you could solve it. Just adding the link to the issue here for others with the same problem: https://github.com/OHDSI/Usagi/issues/103

Cross-posting my status update from https://github.com/OHDSI/Usagi/issues/103

It wasn’t the non-Oracle Java JDK causing problems; it was the permissions of the Usagi .jar file’s directory on our multi-user Windows server.

We installed Usagi in C:\Program Files\Usagi , which is accessible to all users of the server but to which individual users did not have the ability to create new files or sub-directories. Consequently, Usagi’s attempted indexing of the Athena vocabulary files was failing.

Updating the Usagi directory’s permissions to allow file & directory creation did the trick. However, counter-intuitively, the mainIndex and sleepyCat sub-directories were created in my C:\Users\myusername directory instead of in C:\Program Files\Usagi . Usagi didn’t know where to go to access them.

I moved these sub-directories and the four .txt text files over to the C:\Program Files\Usagi directory and Usagi now sees the indexed Athena data.

In summary, Usagi worked with our non-Oracle Java JDK.

Another update: We performed these same Usagi installation steps on a multi-user Linux server. Our experience was the same: Users of Usagi need to have read-write access to whichever directory holds the Usagi .jar file and the associated mainIndex and sleepyCat sub-directories.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed instructions! I was unable to download Java Oracle on my work computer as the application is no longer supported by our institution. Amazon Corretto is an approved application. I was able to download Amazon Corretto and then in Windows PowerShell use the command line: java -jar C:\Users\username\Downloads\Usagi_v1.4.3.jar to open Usagi.

1 Like
t