OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

DatabaseConnector 2.0

Just to let everyone know that we soon will be releasing DatabaseConnector version 2.0. The DatabaseConnector package is used in many other OHDSI packages and studies, so the impact may be large.

The biggest changes are all under the hood: I’ve dropped the dependency on the RJDBC package, allowing for cleaner and more efficient code. The main goal (which initial tests suggest is achieved) is to prevent those pesky ‘Out of Java heap space’ messages that we’ve been getting every now and then.

The only difference for users of the DatabaseConnector package is the fact that the RJDBC::dbDisconnect() function can no longer be used to close connections. Instead, there now is a disconnect() function in DatabaseConnector itself.

To help ease the transition, I’ve already added this function to the latest release of DatabaseConnector (version 1.11.4). Please update any code you have to use the new disconnect() function instead of RJDBC::dbDisconnect(). (I’ve already updated the Methods Library and created pull requests for Achilles and PatientLevelPrediction).

I’ll switch the master branch to version 2.0 one week from now.

I’ve just switched the master branch to version 2.0. All OHDSI software should work fine with this new version.

t