OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Condition mapping improvement using SNOMED Extension proposal

@Dymshyts,

I’m curious on your process to

Do you use any tools? Or is this a manual process? Have you assessed SOLOR? From my understanding, this open source tool will eliminate the

and

by using description logic and logical expressions to extend the vocabulary. Stanford Protege might also be of use.

Melanie

1 Like

@MPhilofsky I’ve recently heard about SOLOR. Do you know if it has the mappings between SNOMED CT and ICDs? Or, it is just about SNOMED, LOINC, and RxNorm?

Can you show us those examples? We will need them to make the case for adding SNOMED Extension concepts. It’s a departure from our strong principle to not create (non-administrative) Concepts.

according to their web-site info:
“Yes, SOLOR does not map one terminology system to another.”

it’s SQL-based algorithm, but, yes for most of the mappings decision was made manually, because it’s need to be clinically evaluated.

Have you try to run it? Do you know how to use the tool?
The same question about

There’s a lot of documentation, so some guidance from someone who used it would be useful

@abedtash_hamed and @Dymshyts,

SOLOR integrates SNOMED, LOINC, and RxNorm into one common terminology model (not sure if terminology model is the correct term). And can be used to extend the terminology. Something that is being proposed in this thread. On paper, this looks to be a good tool to support the extensions. Also, SOLOR is open source, if there is a community behind SOLOR with the same ICD-SNOMED problem, then maybe all the extension work won’t have to fall on the OHDSI community.

We also have concerns about using SNOMED. We have not started using the OMOP CDM, so we have not done an assessment on the ICD to SNOMED terminology mismatch and subsequent patient additions to cohorts without the specified ICD codes. But the reality is we live in the American extension of the ICD world.

I haven’t tried SOLOR or Protege.

1 Like

One more thing :smile:

There’s still the problem of concepts, concept relationships, hierarchies becoming deprecated.

We could use the extensions to keep the deprecated codes and relationships alive.

Sure, I’ll share the results with full comparisons.

there is another proposal

in a few words: not to deprecate the concepts that become obsolete according to the source. Use deprecation if the concept was added mistakenly.

@Dymshyts:

For the RxNorm drugs, since we cannot have duplicates there, should we add that we will run the MapDrugVocab script, mapping deprecated to new ones (even if to higher granularity concept)?

Wrong panel.
but anyway:) it’s a good idea. let me analyse the deprecated RxNorm concepts

t