OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Concept codes for various levels of GPI

I notice that the CONCEPT table includes currently valid ID for GPI at the 14 character level only, with 10 character strings all deleted. Is this due to a Wolters-Klewer requirement?

Being able to work with higher level concepts could be useful for me.

If it’s just a matter of someone taking the time to map them, and Wolters-Klewer wouldn’t object, please just tell me what is needed in order to do it, as I would like to make a small contribution to the work.

Thanks,
Gerry

@Pulver:

Couple of things:

1. Wolters-Kluwer is strictly commercial, there is no provision for scientific use of the codes. They require obtaining an extra mapping table between GPI and NDDF, in order to be able with other resources like RxNorm.
  2. We decided a while ago not to include these truncated GPI hierarchy concepts. Reason: A drug hierarchy needs to support multiple parents, and the 10-digit GPI doesn’t, or only with some awkward cross-links few people use.
  3. Codes should always be meaningless, so you can correct content without screwing with the codes.

As a consequence, we map from GPI to RxNorm (for folks who licensed that intermediate table), but won’t use the terminology for other purposes in the Standardized Vocabularies.

Let me know if you have use cases which would change that.

t