OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Atlas editing/saving errors

Hi, all -

We recently upgraded our Atlas instance from 2.5 to 2.8 (we’ve been a little slow), and are seeing some odd intermittent errors that I’m hoping form a pattern someone more experienced can diagnose.

Our setup: WebAPI 2.7.6 running on a linux server, connecting to a Postgres database with the CDM data sources and results schema. Atlas 2.8.0 served by a separate application server, which is a back-end proxy for an authentication appliance in the DMZ. Users authenticate to the appliance and are passed through to the application server. For now, we are using simple database authentication within Atlas, to keep the number of interconnections across systems down.

Our problems:

• We get intermittent “Application initialization failed” errors. These don’t generally follow long delays; the client returns with the error within a second or so. Refreshing in the browser somewhere between 1 and 5 times seems to fix the problem. I can’t get a sense of when these are more or less likely to occur. They may appear at the start of a session or after some work has been done.
  • Users working on cohort construction get a read-only screen, perhaps as though they were authenticated as someone else. Here’s a screenshot:
  • After a user creates a new cohort or concept set, but while they are still working on it, when they try to save, they get an error dialog that reports that there was an issue with saving the concept set or cohort. Again, this appears within a second or two; it’s not waiting a while and appearing to time out. Once it appears, any attempt to save fails with the same error, and the content isn’t in fact saved. Refreshing doesn’t help but the user can close the browser and restart, redo the work, and (sometimes :slight_smile: ) save it.

We don’t see any errors logged on the WebAPI side, and can’t spot any distinguishing error messages looking at the browser console display.

Any advice or experience is welcome. Thanks!

hi,

First thing - why 2.8? This version is still under development and has not been released yet. The current plan is within a few weeks. The latest “production” ATLAS release version is 2.7.6 with 2.7.7. coming shortly. I also would recommend to synchronize on versions of ATLAS (UI) and WebAPI (API) and do it as a bundle.

The first reaction - clear your browser cache, then try again.

this is probably due to the role and permissions you have enabled by default. You can customize those roles and permissions as required.

I would recommend to deploy the latest released (e.g. tested) version - 2.7.6 and fine tune roles and permissions. Would be happy to talk about it in more details, feel free to ping me directly?

Thanks for this! We’d started with 2.7.6, but I think got the mistaken impression from GitHub issues that we should use 2.8 because it has a set of bugfixes. We can re-pull the current 2.7.6, which may have backported bugfixes, and check again.

[quote=“gregk, post:2, topic:10589”]

We have asked users to do this, and it sometimes works, as does page reloading. It’s been a little difficult to ask them to do this repeatedly, but it will help their expectations if that’s a general practice.

[quote=“gregk, post:2, topic:10589”]

I was wondering about that, but wasn’t able to figure out why that’d yield intermittent failures. Do you think it’s a mis-assignment of permissions, or a config problem that’s leading to some sort of mis-reading?

Ok, we’ll give it try with 2.7.6 and follow up if we see problems. Thanks!

1 Like

I hear you, it is my “favorite” ATLAS feature as well :wink: We should figure out how to fix it, really - will raise an issue around that

I believe by default, users now have read only permissions to someone else’s cohorts. You can change it by editing Atlas Users role or add people to Moderators or even creating your own custom roles.

I would roll-back to 2.7.6 and try again. If still happening, would be happy to help with performing proper role and permission configurations?

t