OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Adding KCD7 code (Korean ICD-10 ) to the OMOP vocabulary

@Christian_Reich @Dymshyts
Korea uses KCD7 code, which is Korean version of ICD-10.
Approximately half of KCD7 codes are included in ICD-10, which are the most commonly used terms. Still, KCD7 has many non-existing codes in ICD-10.

Is it possible to add KCD7 code to the OMOP vocabulary, so every KCD-7 code can have concept_id (even if it’s not standard)? Then, we can store the original KCD7 code as concept_id in condition_source_concept_id field. And it will facilitate official mapping system between KCD7 and SNOMED-CT, ultimately.

Absolutely.

It most certainly won’t, like any of the other ICD10s.

Well, that’s what needs to happen. Can you send a list of non-ICD10 KCD7 codes, so we can take a look?

Great, I sent you the whole KCD7 code list.
I’ll reorganize the list to subset only non-ICD10 KCD7 codes.

Thank you, @Christian_Reich

As a first iteration we add the new vocabulary with the mappings that can be easily obtained.
I.e. KCD - ICD10 - SNOMED => KCD - SNOMED.
Once we figure out whether we can use
KCD - ICD10CM - SNOMED => KCD - SNOMED way, we’ll add more mappings
and finaly the mappings that would be done from scratch.

Anyway, to add the new vocabulary I need to know
full vocabulary_name, for example for ICD10 it’s “International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision (WHO)”
vocabulary_reference , for example for ICD10 it’s “http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/icdonlineversions/en/
vocabulary_version - it is not just KCD 7, I believe it’s revised anualy
latest update - the date when the latest version of KCD7 is released.
please send this over.

@Dymshyts
I need to dig into this further. But this is what I know now.

Full Vocabulary Name : ‘Korean Classification of Diseases, 7th Revision’
Vocabulary Reference : KCD is updated by STATISTICS KOREA, and released at HIRA (Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service)'s site
Vocabulary version: it’s 7th revision. Statistics Korea updates this on the 5-year base. KCD-8 will be released in 2020. I’m not sure there is a regular schedulre for minor update. I cannot find any other version system for KCD.
Last update: The date of the last update is 2017.7.1., which is available here

the link opens the site where I can find something like “download vocabulary”, I suppose. Can you please post the link to the actual download both Korean and English if there are separate files.

@Dymshyts, for the latest version, you can download the file here.
But I couldn’t find any dedicated pages for solely KCD code.

@Dymshyts,

Evidnet has a KCD7 all list including coded KCD and uncoded KCD.
coded KCD example

uncoded KCD example

We are mapping some of coded KCD and all uncoded KCD now but it is not completed yet.
Please let us know, if you need the list and the mapping results of them.

Aelan Park

@SCYou
https://www.hira.or.kr/rd/insuadtcrtr/bbsView.do?pgmid=HIRAA030069000000&brdScnBltNo=4&brdBltNo=50760&pageIndex=1&isPopupYn=Y#none
This is what I wanted - the Download link. Thank you!

@Aelan
Do you map them to SNOMED?
If yes, please share, it might be a good contribution for the community.

Uncoded KCDs:
According to WHO ICD10
if there is, let’s say ‘Salmonella Artritis’
there should be combination of 2 codes:
M01.3 Arthritis in other bacterial diseases classified elsewhere
A02.2 Localized salmonella infections
And each of them is mapped to SNOMED, So in CONDITION_OCCURRENCE you end up with two rows - one for ‘Arthritis’, another for ‘Salmonella infection’
I suppose, you want to map all these codes combinations possible, so we’ll have only one row for ‘Salmonella Artritis’ in CONDITION_OCCURRENCE.
Sounds good.

@Dymshyts
Yes, we are mapping KCD7 to SNOMED now, but it’s not completed yet.
If you think fine, we can share them we’ve done first.
Please advise me what is better.

Thank you.

Hi @SCYou

Should KCD7 and KCD8 be treated as a separate vocabularies?
or
the same with vocabulary_name = “KCD”, and we just keep the version separetely?
If there are a lot of changes, like between ICD9 and ICD10 then it should be different vocabularies,
if there are just some codes added, some deleted, then it should be KCD vocabulary with the version specified separately.
What do you think?

I’ve noticed that KCD codes don’t have “.”
for example
A071 편모충증[람블편모충증] Giardiasis [lambliasis]
while ICD10 and ICD10CM has representation with “.”
A07.1 Giardiasis [lambliasis]

Do you have them without a dot in the patient data as well?

@Dymshyts

According to the intermediate research for KCD 9, KCD 8 will refect the change from ICD 10 to ICD 11. So if you plan to have ICD 10 and ICD 11 separately, I think KCD 7, 8 should be stored separately, though I think it would be possible to keep this in the same vocabulary (‘KCD’) technically.

Officially, there is a dot just like ICD 10 (So A07.1 is more correct). Thank you for finding this.

Lots of Korean researchers will attend this US OHDSI Symposium, and we’ll appreciate your effort. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, ICD10 and ICD11 will be separate vocabularies as they are quite different.
So will be KCD7 and KCD8.
Ok. We’ll add dots.

1 Like
t